Tuesday, July 24, 2012

They didn't think this through very well

We're days away from the opening of the 2012 Olympic Games in London.  I personally prefer the Winter Olympics because to this Texas boy, ski jumping and bobsledding and downhill skiing are pretty exotic sports.  The Summer Olympics with its running and swimming and spear chucking is something kids around here do from the age of 3 on.  Well, we don't start chucking spears until 6, but...it just doesn't seem that exotic.   With a couple of notable exceptions:




Gymnastics....I love watching the girls and guys jump 10 feet in the air flatfooted, then do 8 flips with 6 twists before they hit the ground standing up.  Dang....that's impressive!  And swinging around those uneven parallel bars, bending themselves into shapes that would put me in the hospital....again, impressive!




Women's Beach Volleyball....I love watching tall, svelte, tan girls wearing bikinis bouncing a ball over a net.  Actually I love watching tall, svelte, tan girls wearing bikinis just standing there!  


Unfortunately I don't think the International Olympic Committee thought things through very well when they awarded the 2012 Games to London.  Not because it isn't a great city.  It is!  It's a magnificent city I'd love to go back to again and again.   No, because it's too cold for the women's beach volleyball players to wear their traditional bikinis.  I've heard that instead of bikinis they'll be wearing the beachwear equivalent of long johns.  The athletes say with temps in the 60's they'll need to keep their muscles warm to prevent injury, hence the cover up.




I'm sorry, but this just ain't right!

S

5 comments:

  1. I know all the guys love watching near naked women with their boobs flopping around but really, bikinis in an Olympic sport? It's total exhibitionism and there's just no call for that. I don't see the men's teams wearing only speedos with their packages jiggling around. No, they wear long shirts and baggies. Why is it the Olympic committee covers the men from neck to knee but the women are all but naked? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Olympics, especially when they're overseas in a distant time zone, are something I turn on late at night or early in the morning just because it's about the only thing that's not news or a rerun. Like you though I'd rather watch the winter ones just for the hockey. It's sad to think that beach volleyball qualifies as an Olympic sport but they got rid of baseball.

    Of course if there's another Michael Phelps thing going on I'll probably tune in to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know though I wish McDonald's still had that thing where you would buy a drink or something and get a gamepiece with an event on it and if the US won a medal you won whatever it was on the gamepiece. That gave me a definite reason to tune in then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - that's funny. I'll have to warn Mike. But I have to say that I never understood wearing a bikini to play volleyball - seems uncomfortable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Say it ain't so? No bikinis in beach volleyball? You've just poured ice water on my my Olympic enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete