Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Concrete Canvas guy....

We thought about going out-and-about for a while last night, but after a brief shower passed through the area it was then hot AND muggy.  Yuck!  No thanks.


Instead we stayed in and looked for something unusual on TV to watch.  What I found was "Concrete Canvas" on The Halogen Channel.  You've probably seen some of this guy's work make the rounds on the internet:



The artist's name is Julian Beavers, and his 3-D drawings are amazing!  Until I saw him doing one of his sidewalk pieces I never thought about how uncomfortable it would be to paint on hands and knees or bent over all day long.  Here's how he does it:


Here's something he did that's a bit more relevant today:


Doesn't it look like the artist is just floating on air?

I'd be interested to hear what our resident Blogger / artist extraordinaire Stephen Hayes, aka The Chubby Chatterbox, has to say about his work. Not serious art?  At the very least he does have an interesting "perspective".

Hope y'all have a great Sunday and manage to stay cool.  ;)

S



4 comments:

  1. I once had an art studio in downtown Portland, and I spent two days at an art festival watching a fellow create one of these optical illusions on the sidewalk. I thought it was pretty amazing. They call this trompe l'oeil (French for deceive the eye). I can't imagine taking this much time and energy to create something that is washed away during the next rain. But Tibetan monks create elaborate mandalas from colored sand that only last a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are amazing - I'd love to see one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see one in person as well. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete