Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How do you know what you don't know?

I heard on the radio a soft ad disguised as "oil and gas drilling news" (looking for investors no doubt) that said 13% of the world's undiscovered oil and 30% of the world's undiscovered natural gas are in the Arctic region.  It went on to say that with the shrinking polar ice cap it is opening up vast new areas for exploration.


So if it's undiscovered, how do you know how much is there?  You won't know how much is there until you discover it, right?  Why not claim 40% or 50%?  If it's undiscovered, who could argue with your numbers?


Think this is one of those "lies, damn lies, and statistics" things?


S

5 comments:

  1. I do believe you're right. Don't send them any money, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I don't know, but I know what I don't know when i see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes perfect sense, Joe. Which scares the bejeebers out of me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking for investors? They want my money? I would if I could, but I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete